[OSM-legal-talk] Houses of cards

A Morris aledmorris2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:43:53 GMT 2008

So, you are saying that in the US, map data has no copyright or database
right, and is effectively PD?

Let's think what would happen if map data cannot be copyrighted.

As an advocate of share-alike, I would be absolutely fine with this outcome.
If PD is the only option *for everyone* in the US, then it is the ultimate
copyleft. All the goals of copyleft/share-alike are immediately met. Noone
can take that data proprietary in the US.

In Europe, we would still need a license to prevent proprietary forks.

So, even if you are correct, it doesn't matter. A license can still be used
to enforce share-alike via contract, copyright and database right; if that
license turns out to be invalid, then share-alike is enforced by the lack of
copyright or database right on *any* map data.

Aled

If I am a US college student with a Tor client, an SSL connection and a