[OSM-legal-talk] Houses of cards

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Feb 21 13:31:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

>> To me at least, it seems obvious what Rob says. If you have something
>> that is not copyrighted, and you give it someone [A] under a
>> contract,
>> and that person breaches te contract and publishes the data, then
>> whatever you gave him is up for grabs by anyone [B] as they're not
>> party to the contract.
>
> 4.7 in ODC-Database says that, when that happens, a new
> relationship/contract is established between OSM and person B. It's
> "direct licensing", not "sub-licensing".

Apart from some esoteric inheritance cases perhaps, you cannot, ever,
become party to a contract without making a decision to do so. That's
the very basis of contracts. (See also the Wikipedia entry for
"Contract": "In common law, there are three key elements to the
creation of a contract. These are offer and acceptance,
consideration, and an intention to create legal relations. In civil
law systems the concept of consideration is not central. In addition,
for some contracts formalities must be complied with under what is
sometimes called a statute of frauds.")

> Nonetheless, browse-wrap contracts _can_ potentially be valid if done
> right
> (http://www.ecomputerlaw.com/articles/show_article.php?
> article=2006_clickwrap_and_browsewrap_agreements - hey, written by
> a lawyer).

Yes, and "doing them right" includes, as the very first thing listed
on that page:

"It starts with reasonable notice. You want these online agreements
to be as obvious as possible. If you decide to use “browsewrap,” the
“Terms and Conditions” link should appear on every page and your
websurfer shouldn’t have to scroll down to see the link."

Now since we assume A to be evil, A will certainly publish the data
without any notice whatsoever about a contract that you are supposed
to enter by browsing. The result is that B who browses A's offerings
can never ever become party to a contract he doesn't know anything
about.

Bye
Frederik