[OSM-legal-talk] Attempt to clarify

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Feb 22 14:56:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

> The difference here is
> that some OSM participants want to trade, and you want to give away.
> Neither is ethically superior or inferior.

I could name a few ethical concepts that say otherwise.

As far as my "loaded language" goes, I mean every word of it, but I
should perhaps put this into perspective and add that even if you
refuse to publish something PD and instead publish on a share-alike
basis, I still like you more than the guy who publishes only
binaries, or only map images with no further usage rights.

Someone else said that fights between similar-minded people sometimes
seem the harshest. I'm all for a free world map but I have a slightly
different conception of what "free" should mean. Apart from that
we're all on the same side. Your "free" is not so bad that I'd turn
my back and leave if you were to win. I'd just quietly grumble and
point out my ethical superiority.

Bye
Frederik