[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-newbies] Copyright for street names

Sun Jan 6 18:49:41 GMT 2008

Andy Allan wrote:

> So I would say 6 is the best option, and you should try to do this
> whenever possible. 1, 2, and 4 are OK. 3, 5 and 7 should be avoided.
>
> This kind of discussion should be continued on our legal-talk mailing
> list, which exists for exactly this purpose.

And here's the cc: to do exactly that.

I concur with several posters that 3 ("You remember a business' name
and look it up in the phone book, there you find the street name") is
_not_ ok in the EU and possibly other jurisdictions.

If you do it for one or two places, and every other OSM contributor
does the same, that's 20-40,000 extractions from a database (whether
it be a paper phone book or an electronic one). That is "significant"
and therefore an infringement of EU database right.

cheers
Richard