[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-newbies] Copyright for street names

Tony Bowden tony at tmtm.com
Sun Jan 6 21:53:57 GMT 2008

Bernd Raichle wrote:
> Subproblem b) is IMHO the real problem.  This association of a way (or
> part of it) with a name is copyrightable.

In what jurisdictions? On what basis?

Associating the name with the way requires no creativity, it is again a
bald statement of fact that cannot be done any other way.

*Drawing* the way in the first place from a copyright source would incur
problems, but assuming the placement of the way is safe, I don't
understand your point about associating a name to it.

Tony

Disclaimer: I am not arguing here that we should change the OSM policy.
This is just a discussion of what the law is / is likely to be.