[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-newbies] Copyright for street names

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Mon Jan 7 09:54:57 GMT 2008

Quoting Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>:

> El Domingo, 6 de Enero de 2008, Nic Roets escribió:
>> IANAL, but it does not feel like infringement to me. The phonebook
>> company is allowing each of those OSM contributors to access their
>> database.
>
> But it's not allowing to extract big chunks of data.

This would be a very good question to ask a lawyer, as it has come up
in various forms before and it will be problematic if we guess wrong.

I really do recommend we ask a lawyer.

Do we have one to ask yet?

>> THEY printed all the copies. THEY set up the website to
>> answer a small number of requests to millions of individuals.
>
> And what? That doesn't automatically give you a grant.

Yes that is true. They at best have given you an implicit licence to
look at the web site.

- Rob.