[OSM-legal-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're going

Martin Trautmann traut at gmx.de
Tue Jan 8 06:48:19 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    it seems I was a bit sloppy with my post.
>
>> Ignoring the fact that under US law, it's impossible for individuals
>> to place copyrighted material into the public domain?
>
> Well there's this sentence I've read a number of times which goes like
> "... public domain ... where not possible, I grant everyone a
> perpetual license to do whatever they want...". Generally I just say
> "public domain" because I assume everybody understands what is meant
> by that: Relinquishing control of what you have made, not requesting
> to have a say in what is done with it.

You heared about opengeodb? That's open geo data as full public domain:
do whatever you like with these data.

Up to now it's single point coordinates only, but structured very well
along the hierarchy of governmental structures, including postal codes,
area, inhabitants, height etc. It's mainly central Europe by now
(Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, ...) and could exchange data
with OSM very well. However, the OSM licence does prevent to use its
data within this project. -> opengeodb.de

As soon as opengeodb would use data from OSM, we'd have to put opengeodb
below the matching CC licence, which would render it useless for many
applications. Or data derived from OSM would have to become public domain.

I'd be interested either in public domain or any special licencing
models how a partnership based on derived data can be built.

- Martin