[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're going

Wed Jan 9 10:55:02 GMT 2008

rob wrote:

> Quoting Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>:
>
>> On the face it claims to work in those jurisdictions via contract
>> law, but what is not clear to me is how you require people to enter
>> into that contract.
>
> Yes this is my concern about the ODL. The GPL for example is a license
> not a contract in US law terms.

Although the recent Artistic License case has taken a different view:
http://lawandlifesiliconvalley.blogspot.com/2007/08/new-open-source-legal-decision-jacobsen.html

But I agree that it's an important (and interesting) question.

cheers
Richard