[OSM-legal-talk] wikipedia moving to cc-by-sa

Wed Jan 9 14:43:45 GMT 2008

(this is a separate thread so I don't mind expressing my personal opinions)

Peter Miller wrote:

> I have just been reading about the wikipedia foundation's recent vote to
> start a process to migrate their project to CC-BY-SA
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update

Yes, it's a really good move on their part, and achieved through some
clever legal work. CC-BY-SA is much more explicit and unambiguous for
their purposes (the GFDL article on Wikipedia shows some of the
criticisms that Wikipedians have of their current licence), just as a
data-focused licence could be for ours.

It is worth noting that Wikipedia's licence has no effect on whether
or not Wikipedia can use OSM maps. Wikipedia already admits images
from a whole host of sources under "free licences", even with licences
as obscure as "Trainweb" and "Ubisoft-screenshot" (!); if Wikipedia
does move to CC-BY-SA, the Collective Work provision will would
continue that. No licence OSM would ever consider moving to would be
outwith Wikipedia's definition of a free licence - OSMers simply
wouldn't agree to that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_copyright_tags
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_copyright_tags/All

cheers