[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're going

Thu Jan 10 12:27:34 GMT 2008

Gregory wrote:

> I don't know much legally but...

Oh, I don't know, you seem to have summed it up pretty nicely there. :)

> [...]
> If I'm right then compatibility isn't quite as much as an issue as the
> discussion has made me think.

Yes, absolutely.

As Abi says, Wikipedia's current policy allows any "free" images to be
used, and if they move to CC-BY-SA that will be explicitly permitted
under its Collective Work clause.

So whatever happens, Wikipedia and similar projects will always be
able to use OSM maps.

cheers
Richard

(follow-ups to legal-talk, he says forlornly)