[OSM-legal-talk] GPS mapping court case

Lauri Hahne lauri.hahne at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:28:09 GMT 2008

Here's a quick summary because that document is something like 100
pages long and I was so bored that I actually read it.

* Virtual Map licensed vector data from Singapore Land Authority
* VM created a map derived from these vectors
* Licensing agreement between VM and SLA ended
* VM collected GPS tracks for all streets in Singapore
* but they used their derived map as a backdrop together with the GPS
data when drawing their new map
* So their new map was derived from the old vector data because they
used stuff that was derived from SLA's vector data

+ In addition VM was stupid enough to use an almost direct copy of
SLA's street address database that they earlier had right to use

On 14/01/2008, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> http://spatiallaw.blogspot.com/2008/01/virtual-mapsingapore-land-authority.html
>
> Some interesting points.
>
> cheers