[OSM-legal-talk] hands on commercial applications

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jun 20 00:28:42 BST 2008

Hi,

>> For example, imagine you would allow your users to save the flightpath in a
>> file and later generate a film sequence that re-plays the in-flight view,
>> and save that as a movie file. That movie file would contain pictures of
>> aeronautical data and OSM data

[...]

> You're wrong. The file would be a collective work

You're saying that a movie file containing bits of OSM data and bits of
other data, in a way that they cannot be separated from each other,
might still be a collective work?

According to that logic I could produce a printed map that is based on
an OSM map and has proprietary data printed into it and still claim this
to be a collective work... actually I wouldn't object to this being the
case but until now I believed that project consensus was this would
clearly make a derivative, not collective work.