[OSM-legal-talk] hands on commercial applications

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Fri Jun 20 00:56:53 BST 2008

El Viernes, 20 de Junio de 2008, Frederik Ramm escribió:
> You're saying that a movie file containing bits of OSM data and bits of
> other data, in a way that they cannot be separated from each other,
> might still be a collective work?

No; from my point of view, the file we're talking about is a render of a
flight replay. You could re-render the video again, switching off the OSM
layer.

I like to make a distinction between "raw" OSM data (or GIS data) and rendered
maps; the same way that we can tell apart software source code and compiled
code.

It is my understanding that ""unrendered"" OSM data has the potential of
carrying the share-alike portion of the license to any other piece of GIS
data it touches. However, I do think that rendered OSM images do not, in
whatever media.

For example, let's take a OSM KML file rendered by google earth on top of
(e.g.) Terrametrics imaginery, with Panoramio stuff on top. IMHO, the *image*
shown in the screen is a collective work because the OSM *data* hasn't
interacted with the imaginery or the panoramio stuff. In yours, it's a
derivative one because you can't reverse-engineer the OSM data.

Maybe I have a position a bit too liberal on the issue - I don't really care
what's done with rendered OSM data; I only care about OSM un-rendered data.

Cheers,
--

Bree-lliant!
                                           -- Moss, in The IT Crowd