[OSM-legal-talk] License update

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:07:03 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 19 March 2008 3:00 PM
>To: Licensing and other legal discussions.
>Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] License update
>
>Hi,
>
>> Bully for you.  What's in it for other participants?  More abuse that
>> they can't give conclusive answers and aren't not qualified lawyers?
>
>Well perhaps you're coming "cold from the outside" as you say, you
>have missed one thing: The Foundation has been pushing this new
>license specifically saying: Look, we've got this excellent lawyer
>who is working with us to make the license right for everyone. - So
>Peter can hardly be blamed for hoping that a qualified lawyer might
>answer his questions, because one of the main advantages of the new
>license is hoping it will get us out of the legal swamp we're in with
>the old one.

It's been stated several times before but the point keeps needing to be
made. We, that is OSMF, have engaged Jordan to update the original ODL draft
and incorporate the feedback we (the community) and others have given on it.
He is not giving advice and therefore not in a position to answer legal
queries about the use of the licence.

Once the revised draft is ready we will be able to further review to see if
it is fit for our purpose and if we feel we need others to give us a
professional legal view on its usage. That will cost more money of course,
but it's something that is being considered (as part of a peer review
process).

Cheers

Andy