[OSM-legal-talk] Please enable commercial use

Nathan Vander Wilt nate-lists at calftrail.com
Wed May 7 00:54:46 BST 2008

>> I really would like to see a license as simple as the following:
>>
>> For data users -
>> 0. Open Street Map collects and creates public domain map data.
>> 1. Attribution of Open Street Map is expected. We make it easy.
>> 2. Contributing back or freely sharing modifications is very strongly
>> encouraged.
>
> Except that neither 1 or 2 would have any force in law. So this is
> equivalent to PD.

The first sentence is correct, but I disagree with the second
sentence. Contributors would need to understand that, yes, someone
could trample the rights they gave up. But the majority of data users
would likely honor the Community Norms, enough so that whatever tricks
the minority pulled (what's the worst they could do?) would be
insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Haven't we seen how vandalism ends up being overcome by communities
like this? Why would occasional proprietarization not fall into the
same category of "minor annoyances"?

thanks,
-natevw