[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL modules?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Nov 23 19:01:38 GMT 2008

Hi,

Andrew Turner wrote:
> I would like to know more about how they're not compatible?

Well you cannot use data from a CC-BY-NC project in a CC-BY-SA project.
(For example, there is a Karlsruhe local Wiki using CC-BY-NC from which
I would have liked to use data for OSM; and your "marketing"...

> Largely the benefit here is marketing.

... makes people say "hey, sure, why don't you use the Wiki stuff, it's
all Creative Commons isn't it?", and I am left looking like a stupid
nitpicker if I tell them sorry, no, not possible, just because they are
all Creative Commons doesn't mean merging stuff from then is possible.

You cannot create a work that it at the same time derived from CC-BY-SA
and CC-BY-NC, and there's any number of other combinations of two
Creative Commons licenses where this isn't possible either.

You may be right - it's a marketing ploy. People actually believe that
these licenses are somehow all one family until they think about it and
find out that the members of this family don't particularly like each other.

Bye
Frederik