[OSM-legal-talk] Paid services from OSM

Tim Waters (chippy) chippy2005 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:12:19 BST 2008

On 10/8/08, Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 8 de Octubre de 2008, Sunburned Surveyor escribió:
>  > What are you required to release?
>

> *Nothing*.
>
>  Please keep in mind that the ODbL (or CC-by-sa, for that matter) does not
>  *require* you to release anything.

This is where I think the ODbL differs, or at least the OSMF view of it?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Open_Data_License#Share-alike_for_data
You would be required to release the data, even if you didn't want to.

 "Under CC-BY-SA, even if the commercial map was freely copiable, OSM
would not get the source data to add to our own database.
OSMF is asking the licence authors to add a further provision to make
it clear that the data has to be "contributed back" in this way. "

Which is kind of what I was clarifying in my last post : all mashups,
all paper maps, all derivative works, anything used with osm data,
where the osm data is changed or added to will have to have the data
used, released.

Plus, there could be a requirement to publicise that such data is available.