[OSM-legal-talk] Paid services from OSM

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 00:04:22 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:53:38AM +0200, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> > I think we want someone who derives a better/new DB from OSM data to make
> > that available if they use that data for publically available product.
>
> *If* someone derives a DB, and they make a *publicly* available product out of
> it, they must make *public* the DB.
>
> My point is that if someone uses a derived DB in a "non-public way", they
> aren't required to disclose or publish the DB.

I think talking about releasing to the public vs non-public is limiting,
and makes it sound like the derived DB should only be disclosed if the
product is available to all.

It should be:  Whoever the product is released to should be able to get
access to the derived DB.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall