[OSM-legal-talk] Paid services from OSM

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 22:52:35 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 08:38:56PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 80n wrote:
> > There's no dispensation in the proposed license for a "Master"
> > database.
>
> But there is a distinction between a "database" and "data". I always
> thought that what I collect with my GPS is just "data", and only becomes
> a "database" when combined with the work of others and arranged in a
> common electronic format.

This is one reason why I find generally similar terms for the database
and its contents, rather than one rule for one, and a different rule for
the other, easier to comprehend and more acceptable.  That is, you can
freely use the data, you can modify it, you can redistribute it
providing you give everyone else the same freedoms.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall