[OSM-legal-talk] Paid services from OSM

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Oct 11 17:01:35 BST 2008

> I'm tempted to say that if the data base is modified using some kind of
> original data input - from your GPS, from your company archives, from
> your Grandma's local knowledge - then ist has to be shared; if, on the
> other hand, you only apply algorithms or noise to it, then keep it an
> just tell us that your work is based on the so-and-so planet file. But
> I'm sure this, too, doesn't catch everything.
>
> We must do everything we can to avoid making things more difficult for
> people than they are now (they are difficult enough already).

Agreed. There are a number of reasons to define a Derived Dataset as
something that contains additional original input and not as the same
dataset processed automatically into some other format.

1) It avoids people having to share tedious numbers of large datasets that
are slightly different from the last one and may have been used to produce a
product with a very short life-expectancy anyway.

2) It clarifies that people don't have to expose proprietary storage,
indexing, analysis or manipulation techniques unless they want to. My
company does not support a licence that allows people to see how we store
data internally, it is going to be hard enough to stay ahead of the
free-software movement without exposing all ones secrets at the outset!

3) The core reason for the share-alike element for this project in the first
place is to ensure that people share their knowledge about where features
are and share corrections to this dataset.

4) Because if people don't want to expose their internal data formats then
they only have to combine the OSM data with some other dataset to create a
Collective Work and then they don't have to expose anything further
downstream in their processing anyway.

To be clear, is anyone fighting for a licence that does require users of the
data to expose all their analysis and manipulation software techniques even
when no new facts or corrections have been made to the OSM dataset? If no
one wants that then I am sure the licence can be constructed so that it
isn't necessary.

Regards,

Peter