[OSM-legal-talk] License License License

Tim Waters (chippy) chippy2005 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:31:23 BST 2008

>  Suppose I am a statistics wizard. I take the planet file and run it
>  through any number of processing steps, using a lot of my proprietary
>  knowledge and experience and algorithms I have created and whatnot,
>  to produce interesting evaluations and nice maps suggesting, for
>  example, what the quality of life is in certain areas or so. I offer
>  these maps on my web site for anyone to use.
>
>  What part of my "internal process" I used to arrive at these maps do
>  I have to make public? I will most likely have created a number of
>  derived databases along the way, not adding factual info or
>  correcting OSM mistakes or so, but still I will have enriched the
>  data by e.g. creating all kinds of time consuming statistical
>  analyses on top of it. Would this database have to be published along
>  with my "integrated experience"?
>
>  I'm not asking about what the current license draft says, I'm asking
>  what we (the community) want from the user of our data in such cases.

I wouldn't want any of it, personally. I'd be interested in it if it
looked like there was data that would be useful.

Going back to the newly uploaded draft [1]. Maybe it's me, maybe it's
the legal speak, but where does it explicitly say that if someone
creates and releases to an unsuspecting public a derived work (paper
map piddled on by performance artist, say) then they have to also make
available any derived database that they used to make it with?

On 10/13/08, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>  Am I the only one who sees the subject line and thinks of Badger
>  Badger Badger?

Share-Alike! Share-Alike! Ooooh It's a Share-Alike...

[1] http://foundation.openstreetmap.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/open_database_license_01_draft.pdf