[OSM-legal-talk] Licence brief/Use Case - final call forcomments

Wed Oct 15 14:47:39 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> What leads you to assume that your .ai files are databases?
>
> They're computer readable and they have individual objects that can
> be accessed... but what file hasn't?

 From ODBL: "Database – A collection of Data arranged in a systematic
or methodical way and individually accessible by electronic or other
means offered under the terms of this Licence."

But I wouldn't say the .ai file is a database, it _contains_ a database.

> At what stage of processing would they, in your eyes, stop being
> databases?

A sufficiently accurate, computer-produced map of the real world
always contains a database IMO.

cheers
Richard