[OSM-legal-talk] Timeline for implementation of the ODBL

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Oct 17 07:32:59 BST 2008

I have just noticed that SteveC created a wiki page outlining his proposed
process for implementing the ODBL Licence about a month ago. Here it is:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Open_Data_License/Timeline

Does this make sense to people?  This is good but it does raise various
questions.

There are questions on the page, and there are also comments and further
questions on the talk page. Can I suggest that we take a look at this and
discuss it?

Personally the main absence seems to be any discussion, feedback and
approval process with the community about either the process or the licence
licence itself. The general approach presented is 1) write it 2) take legal
advice 3) email every contributor about ask them to change.

I note that there was no post on this list to say that the page existed and
that initially it wasn't categorised as legal. Also that there was no
comment from SteveC or anyone else when I started posting about the need for
a project plan. Also, that some questions on the talk page have gone
unanswered. Oh dear!

I also notice that there are technical tasks that need an owner and other
items on the TODO list. Any offers?

Shall we initially discuss our thoughts here and on the talk page of the
Timeline page and what tasks we could all offer to take up?

Fyi, ITO might also be able to produce thematic maps for any particular area
saying what data is at risk based on the current user base and what data is
not. It would list which contributors had accepted the new licence (base on
their user page) and who had not. Would that be helpful in motivating local
folk to go and seek approval from those who have not responded in their
areas?

Regards,

Peter