[OSM-legal-talk] Contact Info For Tom Hughes Regarding Public Domain Mailing List

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Oct 22 01:44:30 BST 2008

Hi,

80n wrote:
> IMHO, PD weakens OSM and weakens its ability to free up other datasets.

I don't see the "ability to free up other datasets" as central to OSM,
and as such, "weakening" this ability does not IMHO weaken OSM.

One thing I really love about OSM is the pragmatic, un-political
approach: You don't give us your data, fine, then we create our own and
you can shove it.

Not: You don't give us your data, fine, then we create a complex legal
licensing framework that will ultimately get you bogged down in so many
requests by prospective users who would like to use our data and yours
but cannot and you will sooner or later have to release your data
according to the terms we dictate and then we will have won and the
world will be a better place.

I like so view OSM as a cool DIY project, not a political trick we're
pulling.

Bye
Frederik