[OSM-legal-talk] PD vs SA: The eternal battle

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 19:54:50 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM, bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:

> To bring the discussion back to maps : imagine a GSM provider that wants
> to show coverage on a map. They export their private GIS data of
> signal strength and merge it with OSM, create a low resolution image of
> the resulting map and stick that on their website. My ideal license
> would force them to divulge their private GIS data on signal strength
> used to generate the map so that the community can provide a high
> resolution map with signal strengths of all providers so that I as a
> consumer can decide which provider is best for the area where I live...

So, given your ideal license: I decide to make a pub crawl and making a
mashup showing the pubs I visited and my rating of them.To make sure that I
placed the pubs at the right place I had a GPS in my pocket, and had gpx
trace of the entire evening. Would I then be requires to publish my much
more detailed GIS data (gpx with timestamps), so you could see at what time
I visited the pubs and allowing you, as a consumer, to also verify at which
times the pubs were open and using this data to better plan your own pub
crawl?

Regards,

Gustav