[OSM-legal-talk] Contact Info For Tom Hughes Regarding Public Domain Mailing List

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Oct 26 00:47:10 BST 2008

If I ever start a open project again I will put a mission statement
central to it. I think I was the one who originally wrote "The project
was started because most maps you think of as free actually have legal
or technical restrictions on their use, holding back people from using
them in creative, productive, or unexpected ways." I would add
something about it being viral too as I feel strongly that that is
pretty central to the success of things here.

The real reason the PD folks don't go make
ReallyFreeAndOpenStreetMapThisTime.org is they know it will never
work. 10 people on the least signal/noise list in a project with
80,000 people in it aren't going to make the PD unicorn fly. Most
people in the project that I speak to roll their eyes at this list
because first it's full of ill or openly badly informed people making
complex legal arguments and second that they clearly have a lot of
time on their hands. I can't even make some of the people I respect
most join the list! I applaud the structure that's developed recently
and led to those use cases for example, but the notion that such a
tiny minority would change things is about as likely as dropping all
the software and moving to WFS-T.

Fundamentally, if in some magic way we went PD all you will do is
force the SA people to go start another project... so why can't the PD
people skip all that effort and start their own? Then we can just
import their stuff. We will be happy with our better dataset and our
idea of freedom and the PD people will be happy dreaming about
spaceships and their idea of freedom.