[OSM-legal-talk] Making OSM Public domain

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Oct 26 01:01:46 BST 2008

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, Joseph Gentle wrote:
> I want to know:
>
> - How many people would rather OSM was PD at this time? How do we find
> this out? Would a web-based poll be appropriate?

Many might like to know, but the facts are that there are people who back both
sides.
The psychologists would tell you that this sort of argument that this list has
had over the last month will NOT result in anyone changing their opinion. In
fact it will polarise the two groups such that now we have suggestions that
either the "CC-by-SA -> New licence" camp or the "PD" group should up and
leave.

I would like to be able to discuss the new licence, the new database licensing
scheme and the use cases.

I am thinking about filtering all mail from this list that contains PD
into /dev/null, but would prefer not to.

I would like to make it quite clear that if you want to divide the OSM
project, you have found an excellent way to do so. If you want to have one
project then a change of tack to discussing the actual licence proposals
would be more fruitful.

Liz