[OSM-legal-talk] Making OSM Public domain

Joseph Gentle josephg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 14:43:19 GMT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:59 PM, A Morris <aledmorris2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about the following wording:
>
> Do you prefer to:
> (o) Allow satnav hardware manufacturers to wrap your data in DRM such
> that any users (including yourself) must pay to get updates [link to
> Tivo stuff]?
> (o) Ensure that users of the data contribute back any improvements they make.

Thankyou! I tried, but I couldn't get the wording right for the pro-SA
sentence. Damn internal bias!

How is this?

Do you prefer that we:
(o)  Place no restrictions whatsoever on the use of the map data [link
to PD stuff]
(o)  Ensure that users of the data contribute back any improvements
they make [link to SA stuff]
(o)  I really don't care. I'm just here to make maps!

[x]  I believe so strongly about this that I would contribute less to
    the project based on the license.

[   (o) = radio buttons, [x] = checkbox    ]

> Seriously though, the PD/share-alike debate cannot be condensed down
> to two sentences. The situations listed above are not theoretical;
> most people will not even have considered the possible consequences of
> PD, and certainly not if they take any notice of the pro-PD propaganda
> on this list.

Absolutely. But, none of us can possibly make accurate guesses about
what the community wants without asking them.

You're right; people may vote without understanding all the issues.
This is one of the common problems of democracy. I would be happy to
leave more decisions up to the foundation (I actually think those guys
are doing a great job!). However I've been told by foundation members
that the project isn't run that way.

If no-one else has a wording problem with the poll as stated above,
I'll write it up send it to the osm talk mailing list.

Cheers;
-J