[OSM-legal-talk] Making OSM Public domain

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Oct 26 16:25:38 GMT 2008

Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:

> "most" is not enough. There are reasons to link data into a program.

I am a Lisp programmer. Code is data. ;-)

> And use of the GPL is not restricted to software. Maybe I want to make a
> map where some location is marked by a GPLed image. Maybe I want to put
> some GFDLed text onto it.

There are very few GPLed images. PD and copyleft each have edge cases
that their proponents accept, and this is one of the copyleft ones.

BY-SA/FDL compatibility is in the works.

Copyleft licence compatibility is less of a problem than the problem
copyleft licences solve.

All of that said, it would be ideal if there was just one copyleft
licence for everything.

- Rob.