[OSM-legal-talk] Explicitly adding some licenses in 4.4 iii

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Oct 27 13:57:40 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk at spth.de> wrote:
> One of the main problems with sharealike/copyleft is the large number of
> incompatible licenses. I suggest explicitly adding some important such
> licenses to 4.4 iii, so we don't lock too many other free communities
> out from using OSM data.

This is a problem but the licence authors are working on it.

> At least the most common ones like GPLv2 or later, LGPL, GFDL and
> CC-BY-SA should be added.

This will make things worse rather than better as it will fork some
OSM derivatives into four different incompatible streams.

> Use case 1:
> Creating a flyer about some topic where images from wikimedia commons
> are combined with a map created from OSM data. According to
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:GNU_licenses there are
> 1319405 GFDLed, 6127 LGPLed, 13575 GPLed and over 400000 CC-BY-SA
> (different versions) images on Wikimedia commons.

CC and the FSF are discussing FDL/BY-SA compatibility and Wikipedia is
committed to moving to BY-SA.

BY-SA 1.0 is gone, we have to let it go. ;-) Versions after 2.0 are
compatible with each other and with OSM.

> Use case 2:
> Using OSM in a documentary movie: Places relevant to the movie's topic
> are shown on a map created from OSM data. Zoom in to a place, then
> there's a movie sequence about that place, repeat for other places. For
> the documentary footage placed under a CC license from archive.org's
> moving image archive is used.

This use case seems like it should be possible with the current
licence unless I've missed something again?

- Rob.