[OSM-legal-talk] US potential data sources

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 06:32:57 BST 2008

>From a laymans view this seems obvious, but I figured it will not hurt to
ask.
I have been looking up and adding links to the US section of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potential_Datasources for State and
local governments.  As few if any make blanket statments on the data usage
from a given site, I have been sampling the metadata on some sites.  Most
appear to list a "Use_Constraints:" tag  Would I be correct in saying that
as long as it is listed as "None" that there is not a problem with using it
for OSM?  What other tags would be acceptable besides "none"?

This definatly has not been consistant for all data from a single download
site.  Mainly it seems because the data comes from different agencies with
different restrictions.  So it seems usage needs to be checked on a per
dataset/download basis, rather than checking via e-mail with the download
site.

Where credit for the data source is requested, how should this be handled?
A tag to the imported data, and/or credit on wiki?  Or has this even been
solved yet beyond getting specific permision?  And would that permision need
to be documneted somwhere on the wiki for example.

--
Dale Puch