[OSM-legal-talk] Which data is public domained?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Sep 4 10:10:15 BST 2008

Hi,

Joseph Gentle wrote:
> Which data, exactly, is in the public domain?
>
> Is it reasonable to say that all nodes and ways created by and edited only
> by people on the PD-users list is public domain?

That is my assumption. You know about the "whose node is it" question,
so there will always be people arguing that the PD node I placed is
actually a derivative of a Copyleft node someone else placed on the
other side of the road, but to be honest I think this argument can
safely be ignored.

> Do we have a complete editing history for all of the OSM data?

Unfortunately we have had to throw away the way history data before
October, 2007. But I'm sure it resides on some backup volume somewhere
and could be extracted if the need arises. Apart from that, yes.

Bye
Frederik