[OSM-legal-talk] Public Domain versus CC Attribution Share Alike License

Thu Sep 4 15:47:11 BST 2008

Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> El Jueves, 4 de Septiembre de 2008, Joseph Gentle escribió:
>> [...] There's a bunch of ways even
>> pretty reasonable uses of OSM could leave you legally liable:
>> - You don't acknowledge _everyone_
>
> The CC-by-sa explicitly says that you have to contribute the authors in a
> reasonable way. There is absolutely no problem if you don't acknowledge
> everyone.

I don't think that's the case in our circumstances.

The exact CC verbiage is:

"You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and give the
Original Author credit reasonable to the medium or means You are
utilizing by conveying the name (or pseudonym if applicable) of the
Original Author if supplied"

The Original Author is the mapper. Nowhere in this paragraph does it
give you the option to omit entirely the name of the Original Author;
it expressly says you need to "convey the name (or pseudonym)". You
may convey it in a reasonable form, sure (e.g. 5pt text), but you
still need to convey it. That means all 50,000 mappers in the case of
a planet dump.

>> - You don't share-alike the whole webpage your map is embedded in, or the
>> book in which the map exists.
>
> Again, derivative work vs. collective work. No problems here either.

Some of us would argue the difference between the two isn't clearly
defined in the case of geodata - cf
http://www.systemed.net/stuff/sharealike/ . But the fact that page is
2 1/2 years old now suggests that we could keep arguing round in
circles.

cheers
Richard