[OSM-legal-talk] CC Attribution Share Alike License with OSMF exception

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Sep 5 15:16:00 BST 2008

At 01:59 PM 9/5/2008, Albertas Agejevas wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:07:28PM +0100, Brian Quinion wrote:
> > Been reading all the discussions for a while with growing frustration.
> >  I find my self mostly agreeing with the CC-By-SA license but I do
> > wish there was a way to easily provide exceptions to those
> > organisations wishing to make good use of the data but having problems
> > with the license.
> >
> > So my questions is this:  would it be possible for the contributors to
> > OSM (in addition to releasing the data as CC-By-SA) to also grant a
> > license to the OSMF to use the data for ANY purpose? and to be able to
> > in turn also license the data on other projects / organisations by
> > unanimous vote?
>
>You might want to take a look at the Zope Public Licence -- its
>essence is that when any code is checked in into the repository, the
>contributor and the Zope Foundation share the copyright for the
>contribution.  This way both the contributor and the foundation own
>the work and can relicence it.
>
>Albertas

There was also an OSM mailing list contributor who pointed out an
interesting and easily applicable license (the Talis license??) a
while ago. This originated with a company that compiled a database of
indices of works provided by different libraries (cf. the OSM
database).  The company (cf. OSMF) became a co-publisher with
individual libraries (cf. OSM contributors) maintaining their rights
to their own contributions.

It is possible that the basic provisions could be added to the Open
Database License currently being looked at. I personally think there
are attractions to it but it may be onerous for the OSMF to
constantly act as an arbiter and, as Etienne points out, it just
depends how much you - or rather contributors who particularly want
to see their additions legally protected - trust a future OSMF and
its constitution.

Mike