[OSM-legal-talk] Share-alike license for gps coordinates derived from OSM

Kari Pihkala kari.pihkala at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:31:50 BST 2008

Yes, that was what I was going to do. However, I realised that the license
for OSM will change soon. So, if I start using the CC-BY-SA license for
coordinates on my web site, I would have to change soon to the new OSM
license (ODBL).

Which raises an interesting question: if my web site had 10000 CC-BY-SA
licensed coordinates derived from OSM, how could I change that license to
the new ODBL license? I would have to send an email to all OSM contributors
and ask for the permission? I bet I couldn't get a 100% approval.
Fortunately, I don't have such a data set, so I don't have to worry about
this.

However, that raises another worrying question: Once the new ODBL license is
effective, how do I know that the license won't change again (see
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-September/001158.html:
"I assure everyone the license will need to be changed again at some
point
in the future.") How will I be able to handle the next license change?

Of course, old coordinates could remain licensed under CC-BY-SA, the new
coordinates licensed under ODBL and the future coordinates under ODBL2.
Then, I want to create a derivative work out of these (say, count the number
of places within London). Which license to use for the result??

This makes the usage of OSM questionable, so I have decided not to use the
OSM map on my site, at least for the time being.

BR,
Kari