[OSM-legal-talk] mention the original creator

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Sep 20 16:16:27 BST 2008

Hi,

    on

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap_License

we have the wording:

"you can do what you like with the data, so long as you mention the
original creator"

This has been interpreted by some people as the Foundation actually
*requiring* people to mention the original creator of *each object* in
the database (i.e. long list of thousands of names).

I know that this is currently not clear; that a strict legal reading of
CC-BY-SA would indeed require such a list "as suitable for the medium",
but we don't actually expect anyone to do this, even though we are not
in a legal position to tell people that they do NOT need to do this.

I would nevertheless like to change the wording to:

"you can do what you like with the data, so long as you mention the
original *source*"

which, IMHO, reflects the existing ambiguity better. ("creator" is wrong
in any case, as a strict reading of CC-BY-SA would require mentioning
every contributor, not only the initial creator.)

Can I make this edit without starting an edit war?