[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-dev] Paid services from OSM

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Fri Sep 26 16:14:49 BST 2008

El Viernes, 26 de Septiembre de 2008, Julison escribió:
> Hi all,
> I'm not sure it this list is the correct place to post that question, but
> there it goes:

No - the correct list is legal-talk, so please follow up the conversation
there.

> I'm developing a traffic info service as a layer into OpenStreetMap,
> primarily for Sao Paulo, Brazil.. I'm in a very beginning in that project.
[...]
> My question is: Can I legally charge a service that it will run over a
> OpenSource (and free) service, if I provide extras info that doesn't exist
> in OpenStreetMaps?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: The majority of license-aware OSM users do believe that, as long
as you keep the information layers separate, the attribution of both layers
separate, and a normal user can tell apart which is which, putting several
layers together is not considered a derivative work but a collaborative work,
and the CC-by-sa license does not have to be enforced to turn the other
layers into CC-bt-sa -covered material.

Even if the CC-by-sa license would ever "contaminate" your traffic and routing
data, the license does not have the "nc" component, so you'd be able to
charge money (though in the worst case, you'd have to release traffic data
under CC-by-sa after you're charged for it).

(eu lamento que n~ao peguei o meu GPS quando fui para alá - si n~ao, agora
Trindade ficaría no mapa)

Cheers,
--

Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.