[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL 1.0 status and a volunteer request

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Apr 21 06:36:23 BST 2009

On 20 Apr 2009, at 21:26, Mike Collinson wrote:

> The Open Data Commons continues to work on the input on the ODbL 0.9
> version, much made by the OSM community, and has as yet announced no
> formal revised schedule for ODbL 1.0.
>
> The OSMF License Working Group has, however, received a new draft
> beta from Open Data Commons' Jordan Hatcher.  This isn't for public
> release but to solicit some feedback on anything missing and that it
> fits in line with the comments received and discussed on the [odc-
> discuss] mailing list.  Jordan is attending our meeting tomorrow
> (Tuesday).  If anyone would particularly like to review it and help
> with that feedback, email me and I will pass on that request at the
> meeting.
>
> We would also like to strengthen the License Working Group. If you
> are interested and can join our telephone conference meetings,
> usually held early evening European time, please email me.  I can
> arrange for you to attend one via a local dial-in number.  The next
> is tomorrow, Tuesday 21st,  at the later than normal time of  20:00
> GMT,  21:00 BST (UK), 22:00 CEST, 13:00 PDT (California).

Thank you for the update - news of progress is always welcome.

I think the main assistance that ITO can provide to the process is
input from our lawyer.  If you would like further feedback from our
lawyer then please sent me the updated draft - ideally using 'track-
changes' from the last version although that may be premature.

As a community we are also awaiting a legal response to the Use Cases;
possibly these responses have been deferred while a new draft is
prepared that addresses the issues, but a legal response is an
important part of the consultation process.

Incidentally, when it comes to validating the license against the use
cases, our lawyer has contact with good internal lawyers at SKY news,
and she would be happy to ask them to cast an eye over it from their
perspective. I suggest we line up contacts with other organisations to
review the license for other end-users.

Regards,

Peter