[OSM-legal-talk] Substantial meaning

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Apr 23 19:42:33 BST 2009

Has there been any discussion on what people here feel 'substantial'
means in the context of the definitions of the ODbL? I've banged
around the wiki looking but might might have missed it. Here's the
first important bit relevant to this in the ODbL:

""Extraction" – Means the permanent or temporary transfer of all or a
Substantial part of the Data
to another medium by any means or in any form. "

Which I believe follows the language of the EU database directive.

Basically, what do we feel substantial means when someone takes some
part of the data? How much is 'substantial'? I won't frame the
question further as I can see a number of ways and we, the license
working group, would like to get a feel for the communities views.
We're not looking for a legal opinion on that here, clearly case law
one day has to play a role. Rather, what do we think it means?

Best

Steve