[OSM-legal-talk] Substantial meaning

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Apr 24 18:15:23 BST 2009

SteveC <steve at ...> writes:

> Which I believe follows the language of the EU database directive.
>
> Basically, what do we feel substantial means when someone takes some
> part of the data? How much is 'substantial'? I won't frame the
> question further as I can see a number of ways and we, the license
> working group, would like to get a feel for the communities views.
> We're not looking for a legal opinion on that here, clearly case law
> one day has to play a role. Rather, what do we think it means?

How about turning it around?  There exist also other geospatial data than OSM.
For example Inspire datasets, see annex 1 and 2 in the directive
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2007:108:0001:0014:EN:PDF

Probably it will be allowed to take a non-substantial amount of data out of some
of those datasets.  How are we going to interpret it then?

-Jukka Rahkonen-