[OSM-legal-talk] Foundation trademark

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Aug 7 14:39:38 BST 2009

I am pleased to note that the assignment of the OSM logo to the
Foundation is published as of 31 July 2009 on the IPO/UK site.
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2500155

Congratulations!

I see that the European trademark # 7366859, "OpenStreetMap" is not
owned by the Foundation.  This surprises me.  The word mark was
refused in UK as too generic.  Did the EU overrule that judgment and
and de-jure grant the UK trademark by granting it in EU?  What
happened to all of that European Harmonization we heard about?  ;-)

Or is this just a matter of a slipped bit at OHIM and the mark is not granted?

If it did slip through for some reason and is a valid mark, will the
Foundation get ownership of the "OpenStreetMap" word mark?  Is this
paperwork already in process and the IPO/UK got the update to their
site faster than OHIM?

Best regards,
Richard