[OSM-legal-talk] Fwd: [OSM-talk] copyright problemwithdatacopiedfrom a map

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Aug 18 12:03:58 BST 2009

On 18 Aug 2009, at 11:35, Dave Stubbs wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Peter Miller<peter.miller at itoworld.com
> > wrote:

>>> The Data Working Group can do things, like sending email direct to
>>> the
>>> user from somebody "official" (ie the foundation) that ordinary
>>> users
>>> are not able to do. Hopefully people will be more likely to
>>> respond to
>>> such communication to explain what they are doing which can help
>>> determine whether there is in fact a problem with the data.
>>
>> But surely that is no reason not to set up community structures to
>> deal with local vandalism at a local level where that can be achieved
>> and to only escalate the most serious instances to the working group.
>
> Sure, and that's the explicit requirement before forwarding
> vandalism cases.
>
> Most of the people in this conversation were talking about the OP
> which was not vandalism -- it was copyright infringement.
> These are not the same things.

I understand.  Lets keep this thread to copyright and pick up graffiti
issues somewhere else

Fyi, If have given the vandalism page[1] a bit of a spring-clean. I
have tried to reflect the intention of the wiki page and also this
conversation but in a clearer way. Feel free to edit the page if I
have missed something.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism

Regards,

Peter