[OSM-legal-talk] City of Tucson

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Fri Aug 21 23:43:26 BST 2009

Hi, I having been trying to convince the City of Tucson (where I live)
to allow people to put their GIS data into OpenStreetMap.

I now have an interesting response from the Director of Information
Technology/CIO for the City, but I want to know if this is good enough,
having not done this before, before using the data.

First some background information. The GIS database for Tucson is
provided by a Pima County system, because they have the system set up
and I suppose Tucson didn't want to bother. The system, along with the
access restrictions is here:

   http://www.dot.pima.gov/gis/ftp/order.cfm

As you can see it says that commercial requests need to pay a fee,
asking for permission, etc. This is a Pima County web page, not a City
of Tucson web page.

I regard OpenStreetMap as commercial usage because once the data is in
there it could be used commercially.

I have tried to explain this to the CIO, including a link to the license
for OpenStreetMap. I have received some conflicting responses over the
last couple of weeks, but this is the response I received today:

If you, or anyone else, enters data into O(pen Street Map that's fine,
and if someone uses it for commercial purposes, there's not much the
City can do.  The point is that the City hasn't used resources to
specially support one particular business.

The information on the County web site includes the City data within the
county data.

Hope this helps.  Have a good time with Open Street Map.

I have a secondary problem of identifying which data in the GIS system
is from Tucson and which is from Pima County. I'm separately talking to
Pima County about using their data.

Assuming I can somehow identify the source of the data in the GIS
system, is this good enough for the OSM project's requirements in terms
of getting permission? It's been hard work to get this out of them and
I'm not sure I would get any additional clarifications or commitments.

regards, Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864