[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] cloudmade maps copyright terms and conditions

Tue Dec 1 14:57:03 GMT 2009

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Lauris Bukšis-Haberkorns
> <lafriks at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > If I understand him correctly he is not talking about website or any
> > additional tools but about rastered MAP tiles!
>
> "but excluding the Map Data"
> It's pretty clear.

Martin is correct. His point is that under CC-BY-SA, the map tiles -
not just the data - _must_ be licensed as CC-BY-SA too. Map tiles are
a derivative work of map data under CC-BY-SA.

The CM T&Cs don't make this clear. Where they say:

    "(but excluding the Map Data, which are governed solely under the
     terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.0 License)"

they should, I believe, say:

    "(but excluding the Map Data and Derivative Works thereof, which are..."

Follow-ups to legal-talk.

cheers
Richard