[OSM-legal-talk] OBbL and forks

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:14:56 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:21 AM, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> it's in that spirit, but it's also worth pointing out that we aren't
>> asking for copyright assignment or any other rights assignment. that's
>> a subtle, but often important difference.
>>
> Matt, could you explain why it's an important difference please?

because, when this issue has come up before, several people expressed
concern about assigning copyright (or any other right) to the OSMF.
there's a liberal license grant, but no assignment of rights. since
people think it's an important issue, to avoid further confusion i
thought it was important to point out that difference.

cheers,

matt