[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL: How obscure/inaccessible can published algorithms be?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:43:57 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    OdbL has this requirement where, if you publish a produced work
> based on a derived database, you also have to publish either
>
> (a) the derived database or
> (b) a "diff" allowing someone to arrive at the derived database if he
> has the original, publicly available database or
> (c) an algorithm that does the same.
>
> Is that correct so far?

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

Suppose, considering your WMS example, two separate companies provide
identical services:

A) The first service uses massive processor power to analyse a raw planet
dump and provides the output directly.  Perhaps a larger company such as
Google might take this approach.

B) The second uses some algorithms and optimisations that involve creating a
derived database, but results in exactly the same output as service A.
Perhaps, a smaller company such as Geofabrik might take this approach.

Let's assume that neither company voluntarily publishes any information
about their methods.

On what basis can you demand from company B that they release their
intermediate database?  You don't know (for sure) that they have an
intermediate database.  The ODbL doesn't give you any rights to ask company
A to warrant that they are not using an intermediate database.

What kind of duck test can you use to be sure that a derived database is
involved in the process?

80n