[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright Assignment

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Dec 26 13:19:49 GMT 2009

The new Contributor Terms contain the equivalent of a joint copyright
assignment to the OSMF. That makes this recent article by Michael Meeks
on copyright assignment in free software very relevant:
http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/copyright-assignment.html

Of course, not all of the pros and cons he raises are relevant to data
rather than software. But the following sentence struck me:

"It appears (to me) that choosing a license that can be upgraded and
bug-fixed in-flight by a responsible steward or proxy substantially
removes the requirement of assignment for re-licensing."

I would recommend reading the whole article.

Gerv