[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL License + Outline Procedure

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Feb 27 13:05:45 GMT 2009

Grant Slater <openstreetmap at ...> writes:

> The OSMF License Working Group is excited and pleased to announce the
> completion of legal drafting and review by our legal counsel of the new
> proposed license, the Open Database License Agreement (ODbL).

I am sure that this is going to be fun. Legal adviser makes a fine new start for
a never ending PD-Share alike or GPL style/LGPL style debate with comments like
this on the wiki use cases page:

"My goal as a producer of Free (as in freedom) works is to enable (and
encourage) others to create new and innovative Free works based on mine, so that
the catalogue of Free works available to the world is growingly enriched by new
contributors. This wealth of new works is my reward for contributing in the
first place. I don't understand why anybody would be allowed to pick random
pieces of Free works, produce something new with it, and not share it back. If
they have a problem with sharing back to the community, they should just not use
a Free work in the first place, get their data elsewhere and possibly pay for
it. --Pshunter 12:21, 27 February 2009 (UTC)"