[OSM-legal-talk] "A Creative Commons iCommons license"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Feb 28 18:16:58 GMT 2009

80n,

> Indeed it is exactly this case I had in mind, where the license gives the
> contributor fewer rights.  It creates a class of derivative works, called
> Produced Works, that are not share alike.

In my opinion, OSM's value is almost entirely in its being a database.
If OSM were not a database, then any meaningful use of OSM I could think
of would first require converting it into one! A license that protects
this core capacity and makes sure that OSM data, when
published/used/whatever as a database, remains free, does IMHO indeed
capture the essential bit without wasting energy on the fringes.

You are right in saying that a "Produced Work" under ODbL does not carry
the same restrictions as many believe it now has under CC-BY-SA, but I
fail to see the use of implementing such restrictions. In my eyes, there
is nothing worth "protecting" in a "Produced Work" when our data has
lost its essential capability of being accessed as a database.

And the essential capability of database-ness is protected, as Richard
pointed out, even if the data should be conveyed by means of a Produced
Work.

Bye
Frederik