[OSM-legal-talk] "A Creative Commons iCommons license"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Feb 28 18:21:13 GMT 2009

Hi

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> FWIW, I do think that the ODbL Produced Work provisions _may_ need
> rewording. There seems to be a myth around here that a Produced Work can be
> public domain. Clearly it can't - not in the traditional sense of PD -
> because of 4.7 (the Reverse Engineering provision that dictates that the
> data is still copyleft). If there is any restriction on a work, it isn't PD.

I always thought that the reverse engineering provision would apply
automatically through the database directive, so even if we allowed a
Produced Work to be PD then reassembling them into a database would
still make that database protected, but this was perhaps seen too much
through European eyes.

Sadly, this makes it impossible to create a derived product from OSM-old
and OSM-new because it could not be CC-BY-SA with that added
restriction. So my before-after slippy map would have to be layered
application.

Bye
Frederik